Food Safety and Toxicology (FST)
|FST Research Area Committee Updated: 1/27/16|
|Chair, Paul Schwarz, North Dakota State University|
|Vice-Chair, Jim Peskta, Michigan State University|
|Dave Kendra, BASF Plant Science LP, RTP, NC|
|Todd Russom, Anheuser-Busch InBev, St. Louis, MO|
|Ken Voss, USDA-ARS, GA|
The Food Safety and Toxicology (FST) research area supports research on food safety and food processing issues related to the presence of Fusarium spp. mycotoxins in wheat and barley grain. Practical outcomes of research in this area include: 1) improved toxicological data to assure that current guidelines are providing the appropriate safety factors for the consumer; 2) analytical tools that can be used by small grain producers, elevators, millers, and processors, to rapidly and reliably identify mycotoxin-contaminated grain; 3) develop appropriate strategies to deal with contaminated grain; and 4) diagnostic data on Fusarium spp. mycotoxins required for development of FHB resistant/tolerant varieties of wheat and barley.
- Provide analytical support for DON/trichothecene quantitation for the Initiative’s stakeholders.
- Support research on DON/trichothecene safety that is needed by producers, grain processors, researchers, risk assessors, and regulators.
|Summary of Funding|
|FY15 (2015-16)||FY16 (2016-17)|
|Number of Projects:||5||5|
|Number of PIs:||5||5|
|Total Award Amount:||$605,563||$512,144|
|% Total Rec. Funding:||12.34%||10.58%|
- Mycotoxins in Canada: A Perspective for 2013 Posted: 12/20/13
- Update on Acetonitrile shortage - NDSU DON Testing Lab. (Posted: 1/27/09)
- Sampling Grain for Deoxynivalenol (DON) Analysis: A Researchers Guide (PDF) (Posted: 7/16/07)
- Grain Sampling for DON Analysis (PDF) (Posted: 6/28/07)
- DON White Paper - Deoxynivalenol: Known Facts and Research Questions (PDF)
- Memo from Co-Chairs: Update on DON Testing Labs (Posted: 2/28/07)
- CODEX Document on DON (PDF) - see pages 8-9.
- DON (Vomitoxin) in Wheat
- Mycotoxin Sampling Tool Updated: 3/24/14