from Madhur Jaffrey
- 200g whole green lentils, picked over, washed and drained
- 750ml water
- 6tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-2 fresh, hot green chillies, finely sliced
- 1tsp peeled, very finely grated fresh ginger
- 8 well-packed tbsp chopped, fresh green coriander
- 550g fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp lemon juice, or more, according to taste
- Put the lentils and water into a heavy pand and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Put the oil in a pan large enough to hold the spinach and set over medium heat. When hot, put in the green chillies and the ginger. Stir and fry for 10 seconds. Add the fresh coriander and spinach. Stir and cook until the spinach has wilted. Now put in the cooked lentils and the salt. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook very gently for 25 minutes. Add the black pepper and lemon juice, stir to mix and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Check seasonings.